In 1895 Eagle Junction State School opened on one acre of land with 279 students. Originally known as the Clayfield school, its name was changed to Eagle Junction in 1901. The name change was primarily to ensure that school supplies sent by rail were offloaded at the Eagle Junction station rather than the Clayfield station, as the former was closer to the school.
The school expanded to accommodate population growth in the area due to the introduction of the train (1882) and trams (1902). By 1916, the student numbers had grown to 1,000, although only 700 could be comfortably accommodated. To help alleviate this problem, the head teacher's residence was relocated to nearby Winifred street and an open-air annex built in its place in 1918.
The first student to be enrolled at Eagle Junction State School in 1895 was Elvira Lyons , the daughter of the first headmaster Denis Tracy Lyons. Other notable students who have attended the school include Neal Macrossan, Rhodes Scholar and later Chief Justice of Queensland; Dame Annabel Rankin, the first woman appointed to a Federal Ministry; professor Emeritus Tess Crammond, foundation professor of anaesthetists in the University of Queensland; and Daniel Lightfoot, a leading fashion designer.
Efficient use of limited space has been a constant challenge and the purchase of private residential land, the introductions of demountable buildings and multi-level teaching blocks have helped to cope with increasing numbers of students.
There are significant historical features at the school including the memorial gates on Roseby Avenue, the sundial in front of a block and the memorial library which houses a magnificent leadlight window. The introduction of the preparatory year in 2007 ushered in a new era in education resulting in the construction of additional buildings and playgrounds. 2011 will see the completion of the new library, resource centre, EJ kid's care facility, and classrooms as part of the building education revolution.
The pursuit of excellence in academic, sporting and cultural achievements coupled with a sense of community service has made Eagle Junction State School a proud school with a respect for its past and for those who have shared in it.
The memorial gates were constructed as a memorial to past students and teachers who had served in the first world war. Designed by Evan Smith, the gates are a constant reminder to all who pass through them that members of the school had been involved in the great war. The official opening of the gates was 22 November 1924 and was attended by the Governor of Queensland, Sir Matthew Nathan.
The sun dial, situated at the front of the school, was erected as a memorial to Olga Mary Dunstan (Nee Deane) who had been both a student and a teacher at the school and died tragically from drowning. Officially unveiled in 8 September 1929, it stands as a permanent reminder of her contribution to the school.
Chosen as a suitable memorial to those who had served in world war II and designed by architect Mr R Ashley Shaw. Two classrooms in the original school were remodelled for its construction. A stained glass memorial window was included and was made by Leadlights Pty Ltd. Mr Justice Mansfield officially opened the library on 21 may 1949.